How to Obtain Driving License
Driving License is the most essential and mandatory document to drive a motor vehicle in any public place. Driving License should be issued by the Local Transport authority, which has been authorized to issue such document under the norms of Government of India. The
driver must posses, in his name, the relevant driving license of that particular category, which he/she is driving, to be called as authorized driver.
Broadly there are two types of Driving Licenses
This is a temporary license valid upto 6 months only. It is issued to learn driving of Motor Vehicles.
Permanent License is the final documentary authorization for valid driving. One becomes eligible for permanent license after expiry of one month from the date of issuing of the learner license.
The applicant for driving license should be 18 years old on the date of application (For commercial vehicle the applicant must be 20 years old and for vehicles upto 50 CC engine capacity applicant must be 16 years, with the consent of parents/guardian).
The applicant should be conversant with Traffic rules and regulations.
How to acquire Learner License
The following documents are required while applying for a Learner's Driving License
- Application Form (available from Local Transport Authority)
- Residence Proof
- Age Proof
- 3 recent passport size photographs of the applicant.
- Medical certificate in Form No 1A (wherever applicable)
- Self-declaration of Medical fitness in Form no.1
- Requisite fee as laid down by the authorities
After verification of documents the applicant is inspected for color blindness. After this a 20 minute learner test is conducted with 20 multiple choice objective type questions. Learner License is issued to the applicant who qualifies the test. The authorities also provide a handbook so that applicants may go through it before writing test for Learner License. The learner license is issued on the same date after completion of all tests.
Acquiring Permanent License. To acquire Permanent License:
- The applicant should have a valid leraner license.
- One should apply for Permanent License after 30 days and within 180 days from the date of issuance of learner license
- The applicant should be well versed with the driving, traffic rules, regulation and the system of vehicle.
- Valid original learner's license
- Application in Form No.4
- Requisite fee
- Proof of age and residence
- One recent passport size photograph
- Form No.5 in case of commercial license
- The vehicle of that category which you are seeking license for.
After scrutiny of all the documents the applicant is put through a driving test. The applicant is tested for his driving skills, familiarization with the vehicle, knowledge of traffic rules and regulations. If the applicant passes the driving test he/she awarded Permanent Driving License. In case applicant fails he/she can reappear for the driving test after 7 days.